Burn permits needed in Wilmington

WILMINGTON — Effective Monday, April 17, a person in the Town of Wilmington shall not kindle a fire in the open air for the purpose of burning brush, weeds or grass without first obtaining permission from the Fire Warden.

Violators shall be fined not more than $200 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. Please note that burning of trash or chemically treated wood is illegal at any time.

Burn Permits are available at the Wilmington Fire Department during weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. You may stop by or call the Wilmington Fire Department first at the non-emergency number of 464-8022 to see if the fire chief is available to issue.

Burn Permits are also available at the Town Office Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

After hours (reasonable please) they are available by calling the Vermont Forest Fire Warden Richard Covey at 464-7341 or Deputy Forest Fire Warden Danielle Covey at 258-0650.

Weekends — check at the Wilmington Police Department to see if a Police Department dispatcher is available to issue permits.


If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions